Pages

9/2/15

This is 30

ELLE has done a really great thing on this month's issue in honor of it's 30th anniversary, that is to ask some of the most successful women what it means to be 30. With Keira Knightley turning 30 on the cover, all these women explain their struggles and self-realization when turning the big 3-0. And while there are quotes that miss the point, others are absolutely great. To me, turning 30 is leaving all insecurities behind and starting to love my own self, know me better and becoming an adult. I love myself more than i did before when i possibly was thinner and i think i'm in the prime of my life. And that's beautiful. So that's why i'm posting below some of my favorite quotes from these women. Get inspired, this is 30:

Keira Knightley, Actress: "My twenties were pretty crap. My career was absolutely amazing; in fact, I don't think my career will ever get better than it was in my late teens, early twenties. But as a person, you're changing so much and you're trying to figure stuff out. Some people go wild and have a great time and throw caution to the wind, and I was the complete opposite. I was very shy. It took me a lot of years to try and stop pleasing a lot of people and allow myself to have fun. It's the difficult thing of getting out of your own head. To stop going, 'Oh, there's something I should be doing, there's a way I should be behaving, I should be dressing….' All of those shoulds, you can drown in them."

America Ferrera, Actress, Superstore "It's funny, 30 was always the age I wanted to be. I didn't look forward to 16 or 21 or even 25. I was like: 30. I assumed by then I would be fully formed and comfortable in my skin and in my body, and I'd know who I was. And as an actor, I felt like that's when they really start writing good stuff for women. My twenties were great, but they were hard. You want to get past the learning curve and then have fun. I feel like I'm already having more fun in life in this decade than in the past one."
Lauren Bush Lauren, Philanthropist "Your twenties come with a lot of self-doubt and anxiety around big life questions: What are you going to do with your career? Who are you going to end up with? Where are you going to live? In your thirties, you just know yourself better."
Kate McKinnon, Comedian, Saturday Night Live "In one's twenties, one feels as though there is somehow unlimited time to make decisions that are wrong for you and also experiment with things that are wrong for you. But when the decade turned, it suddenly felt as though there was no more time to waste."
Grace Gealey, Actress, Empire "This has been my year of self-realization. I started paying attention to what my mind, my body, my spirit were telling me about my life, personality and careerwise."
Sarah Lane, Soloist with American Ballet Theatre "Age 30, for me, means balance."
Emily Weiss, Founder of IntoTheGloss.com and Glossier "I feel as if I'm reaching a new level of responsibility with regard to my physical upkeep that I previously didn't care about. I was like, 'I'm grungy,' and now I'm like 'I'm an adult. I need to act like it.'"
Misha Nonoo, Fashion Designer "You think, Oh, by the time I'm 30, I'm definitely going to have kids. And then you don't, and you're like, That's absolutely fine."


Thao Nguyen, Lead Singer of Thao & The Get Down Stay Down
"These days I think about death all the time. Not in a dark way, but in a sort of propulsive, anytime-it-could-happen way."
Thao Nguyen, Lead Singer of Thao & The Get Down Stay Down
"These days I think about death all the time. Not in a dark way, but in a sort of propulsive, anytime-it-could-happen way."

Olivia Wilde, Actress, "I've embraced aging from both identities, as a woman and as an actress. Honestly, wisdom allows you to have a more fulfilled life. And as an actress, I think it's great when you're too old to play dumb."
Thao Nguyen, Lead Singer of Thao & The Get Down Stay Down "These days I think about death all the time. Not in a dark way, but in a sort of propulsive, anytime-it-could-happen way."
sources: elle

No comments:

Post a Comment